(6/8/2014, Los Alamitos) Los Alamitos City Council meets Monday at 6 pm in a televised Special Meeting to address four issues:
- A host of “follow up items” for the 2014-15 Los Alamitos City Budget that begins 23 days from today.
- Continuing Closed Session discussions with former Interim City Manager and current Labor Consultant/Negotiator Greg Korduner over negotiations with the Los Alamitos City Employee Association.
- Continuing Closed Session discussions with Consultant Korduner over negotiations with the Los Alamitos Police Officers Association
- Closed Session discussions with the City Attorney regarding anticipated/pending litigation.
Los Alamitos residents may be interested in some of the details of the budget, like the following items from the Capital Improvements Projects Budget:
- $100,000 from the General Fund as a down payment of sorts for the “Los Alamitos Blvd. Revitalization Project.” (It should be noted that about four years back the City Council rejected a $500,000 grant to add islands to Los Alamitos Blvd. because they felt those islands were incompatible with the then newly proposed revitalization project.)
- $427,o00 in “unfunded” capital improvement projects from parking lot pavement to five items for the pool at the Base totaling $110,000. (I remember former Council Member Marilyn Poe claiming in 2008 that the Pool was not costing the City a penny.)
The proposed Budget which the Council and City Staff have been working diligently on for months, includes nine cuts and revenue increases to “close the budget gap for 2014-15,” which I presume includes the unfunded Capital Improvement Items. These include an anticipated $131,300 from “Charge for Parking on City property at the Medical Center.” (Our more budget minded readers might want to click here for the 13 page agenda & Agenda Budget Report to see more details and verify my assumptions.)
As always, your comments and perspective are welcome.